DUR(Debian User Repository)

为了避免读者被标题误导,特别声明:

1. 该项目与 Debian 无关
  2. 邮件列表中讨论的问题主要是关于品牌问题。
  3. 本文对该项目不持赞成或反对倾向。

参考线程:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2021/07/msg00026.html

2021/7/2 9:16:48 +0200,Debian 开发人员 Stephan Lachnit 报告说:

Today I discovered a relatively new project called “Debian User Repository” 1.

It’s similar to the AUR, and much more than just in principle. Packages are
defined as PKGBUILD files and built via makepkg [2], the tool used in the AUR.
The packages are then converted to binary debs using makedeb [3].
Overall, the build process is designed to avoid “standard” Debian packaging
as much as possible.

I was trying to find out who made it - and this project is not related to Debian
at all (the creator, Hunter Wittenborn, is not in Debian’s contributor
database).
Also, it’s goal is not creating an “AUR” for Debian, but a central replacement
PPAs for Ubuntu LTS [4, 5]. For those of you who want to see my conversation
with the creator, it’s in a public (though encrypted) Matrix room [6].

Why do I think this is relevant for Debian?
This was not the first attempt of building a “DUR” [7], and at least I
personally
think the name has too much weight for a project that is not related to Debian.
Thus, I think we should discuss whether we should ask the creator to change
the name (he is open for that, I asked him).

The creator responded quite nicely and I think we shouldn’t actively oppose
the project itself. I think the project can be beneficial to Debian (at least
until someone creates a DUR that actually uses the Debian build process).

• Stephan

1 https://dur.hunterwittenborn.com/
[2] makepkg - ArchWiki
[3] GitHub - makedeb/makedeb: A simplicity-focused packaging tool for Debian archives
[4] https://docs.hunterwittenborn.com/makedeb/debian-user-repository/intro
[5] https://docs.hunterwittenborn.com/makedeb/debian-user-repository/dur-user-guidelines/package-relationships
[6] You're invited to talk on Matrix
[7] [Idea] Debian User Repository? (Not simply mimicing AUR)

Debian 开发人员 Andrey Rahmatullin 于2021/7/2 22:35:45 +0500回应说:

On Fri, Jul 02, 2021 at 07:16:48PM +0200, Stephan Lachnit wrote:

Thus, I think we should discuss whether we should ask the creator to change
the name (he is open for that, I asked him).
I don’t think there is something to discuss here, the name should be changed.

The creator responded quite nicely and I think we shouldn’t actively oppose
the project itself.
As long as it only targets Ubuntu and doesn’t mention Debian it’s indeed
only an Ubuntu problem. If it starts targetting Debian, as was planned by
the author, it should at least be prominently described how does it work
and why can that be bad for the users.

WBR, wRAR

项目维护人 Hunter Wittenborn 于2021/7/2 14:12:47 -0500 发布了他的辩解:

Hi! Just thought I would pop in about some initial concerns Andrey raised:

As long as it only targets Ubuntu and doesn’t mention Debian it’s indeed only an Ubuntu problem.

It mainly targets Ubuntu, but there’s no reason it wouldn’t be functional on Debian distributions. Dependencies can be listed for both distros through makedeb’s release-specific dependency functionality 1, allowing the DUR’s (as stated before, I’m open to changing the name) PKGBUILDs to work and provide for any number of systems.

…it should at least be prominently described how does it work and why can that be bad for the users.

If you visit the DUR website, it includes a link directly to the ArchWiki on how the AUR (which the DUR is based on, pretty much just with a reskin and some minor changes) works, as well as a guide for creating and setting up a PKGBUILD.

I’ve thought about redoing the PKGBUILD docs for makedeb, but it just felt like it would be redundant when the ArchWiki article is already has a plethora of information about it.

Regarding why the DUR could be bad for end users (i.e. from a security standpoint), the following is plastered on top of the DUR homepage (as well as the AUR’s), in bold, which can be seen by all users before they log in:

DISCLAIMER: DUR packages are user produced content. Any use of the provided files is at your own risk.

The same message can also be seen in the footer of all pages, whether logged in or not.

Lastly, again, I’m open to changing the name if it would be preferred by a decent amount of people on the Debian team. It really wouldn’t be too much hassle for me, but if I were to do it, I would prefer to schedule some downtime for the users that are already currently using the DUR so I can change everything in a planned manner.

Thanks! Let me know if you have any thoughts,

Hunter Wittenborn

hunter@hunterwittenborn.com

redhat来个RUR,SUSE来个SUR…

最近在用 Manjaro,确实不错。

manjaro是不错,但是小问题比arch多。。。。所以回到arch去了。

后续进展:
2021/7/4 22:50:31 -0500,Hunter Wittenborn 宣布他计划将项目更名为 makedeb Package Repository (MPR):

Hi,

In combination with some thoughts that have been said here, as well as from a branding perspective of what is currently the DUR, I think I’m going to change the naming for the project.

I’ll be changing it to be called the “makedeb User Repository”, which just makes more sense to me.

One, it removes the targeting towards Debian (when the project does first and foremost aim at Ubuntu), and two, it aligns more with the project’s purpose, a user repository for use with makedeb.

I think it would also give room for people at Debian to make a project with the “DUR” name without confusing it with mine, and allows me to keep my branding unique and specific as well.

The branding on the website itself should take effect in the coming days, but the URL change for the website (dur.hunterwittenborn.com) will take effect in about a week or two when I can schedule some downtime for users.

Thanks! Let me know if you have any comments on the course of action,

Hunter Wittenborn

hunter@hunterwittenborn.com